Spence is another '14 QB hopeful that Michigan has kept their eye on. There seems to be mutual interest between both sides.
I caught up with Spence to see where he is at with his recruitment:
- On his recruitment: "I'm just in the process of getting my junior film out to schools and receiving feedback. Also, we've had some schools visiting De La Salle."
- On schools that stuck out to him the most: "In my opinion, all of the schools are interesting and appealing for different reasons. Some of these schools include Notre Dame, Michigan, Northwestern, Duke, Florida State, and Michigan State among others."
- On contact with Michigan coaches: "I've been in contact with coach Singletary for the most part. I had a chance to meet the rest of the staff when I visited for the Iowa game."
- On the visit to Michigan: "It went great! What stuck out to me was the family atmosphere and the great fans they have. Football wise, I was intrigued by their ability to use dual-threat quarterbacks like Denard Robinson and Devin Gardner in their offense."
- On whether or not the coaches want him as a duel-threat or pro-style quarterback: "They told me I would be a quarterback in their offense. Personally, I feel that I have the versatility to fit in the pro-style or spread offense. I'm a pass first quarterback with the ability to run."
- On a potential offer: "They said that they are closely evaluating the position more so than any other position. So a quarterback offer will probably take longer."
- On how a Michigan offer would effect his recruitment: "Michigan is definitely a school that I would have to look very hard at. They have a very strong football program, and strong academics to match.
- On potential timeline for commitment:" I really don't have a timeline for a decision, but I would like to take my official visits prior to making a decision. This will allow me to make the most informed decision possible."
- On what type of player Michigan could potentially be getting: "They would be getting a leader on and off the field who is going to give a 100% to the program day in and day out. As mentioned earlier, I'm also a versatile quarterback with passing and running capabilities."
As I said before, the coaching staff is being very methodical with their recruitment of quarterback. They are weighing a ton of options. Spence is a very bright kid, boasting a 4.7 (!!!!) GPA with football skills on the side. No matter where he goes, they will be getting a good kid in Spence.